Friday, December 21, 2007

7's of 2007

This year I didn't really pay attention to music. With all the crap on the internet these days it's impossible to try to keep up with whatever is cool this half hour in the blogosphere. That being said, the year had a few great releases from old favorites and a few surprises from artists that I stumbled upon on that same blogosphere.

Albums
1. Kanye West - Graduation
Really not much I can say about this album that hasn't been said. Production is ridiculous, samples are amazing, lyrics are great, art is great. I went into this album completely burnt out on the first 2 singles and was ecstatic about what the rest of it contained. Thoughtful and motivating music with beats to match.
Favorite Track - I wonder

2. Radiohead - In Rainbows
I've never been a Radiohead fan. I liked them but just never got into them too deep. Couldn't pass up a "pay what you want" album. (I didn't pay, sorry radiohead! i will next time!) Again, nothing I can say about this that hasn't been said. Great album, in some ways a great move for the music business.
Favorite Track - Videotape

3. J Dilla - Ruff Draft
I know this is just a 2007 re-release but I had never heard it so I'll count it. This album shows why Dilla was one of the best of all time, able to stand even without the vocals as a great album. With some of Jay's best rhymes and an appearance from fellow Detroitian Guilty Simpson, you won't be upset that the vocals stayed.
Favorite Track - Reckless Driving

4. Wale - 100 Miles and Running
Yes I am putting a mixtape on my top whatever. Came across this and downloaded without having any clue who or what this Wale was. The production on this is very unique and anyone who's favorite MC is Black Thought will probably catch my ear. Great wordplay, great beats, great style, and he's got Mark Ronson's seal of approval.
Favorite Track - Rediscover Me

5. Jose Gonzalez - In Our Nature
I got on this album way late this year. I had his previous record and loved it, but never really followed what he was up to and didn't know he had a new one. Simple guitar and a haunting voice that still gives me chills. Beautiful record.
Favorite Track - Cycling Trivialities

6. Madlib - Beat Konducta 3+4
This year the less vocals in music the better. Bollywood samples that I can't understand work fine. Madlib found some real gems in this and as usual everything knocks. This album makes me wish I smoked weed.

7. Little Brother - Much anticipated return from NC's finest. Came back and proved that the duo could stand without 9th Wonder. Even got Lil Wayne on the album on a track I always skip because the LB boys outshine him. Some low points but the highs make the album a success in my eyes.
Favorite Track - Dreams

No comments: